Many people might be tempted to ignore their speeding ticket. Perhaps they have an out-of-state license; perhaps they don’t own a car or insurance, or perhaps they exclusively take public transportation.
Whatever the case, you shouldn’t ignore a speeding ticket. While some people may feel a greater impact from speeding ticket penalties than others, ignoring a ticket could cost you more than if you’d just paid the ticket or handled the situation more appropriately. Keep reading to learn more about what happens if you don’t pay a ticket in NY.
Never Ignore a NY Speeding Ticket
If you decide to simply ignore a speeding ticket in New York, your driver’s license will likely be suspended after a period of time determined by the individual court. The New York DMV website clearly states “your license…will be suspended if you do not answer a ticket or pay a fine.”
While a suspension might be more damaging to some than others, consider these complications:
- There are fees associated with clearing suspensions. If you ever want to be clear again you’ll need to pay these fees on top of the ticket.
- Any fines and surcharges you may ultimately be forced to pay down the line will likely be more severe after ignoring the ticket.
- Prior suspensions can affect insurance rates in the future.
- Prior suspension may be a factor for certain employers in the future.
- Even if one is licensed out of state, a suspension from New York might follow you back to your home state.
- Suspensions can affect the ability to rent a car or disrupt travel plans in other ways.
- Driving while suspended is a big risk. Getting pulled over for any reason in New York while your license is suspended could lead to a criminal misdemeanor charge.
For all of these reasons, it is a much better idea to either fight or pay your speeding ticket in New York. Fighting it might not be as difficult as you think, and you might be able to reduce the severity of the ticket.
If you have questions or want more details about what happens if you don’t pay a ticket in NY, call us to schedule your no-obligation case evaluation. We’ve helped many people with speeding summonses avoid the most severe penalties.
Call (888) 445-9886 (TicketHELP) or contact us online to schedule your free case review today.
What Are the Penalties for Speeding Tickets in New York?
Speeding penalties include fines which can vary greatly depending on where and how fast the person drove their vehicle. Penalties include surcharges, points on a license, and potential insurance increases.
Speeding ticket points in NY are as follows:
- Unreasonable/imprudent speed for the conditions: 3 points
- <10 mph over the limit: 3 points
- 11-20 mph over the limit: 4 points
- 21-30 mph over the limit: 6 points
- 31-40 mph over the limit: 8 points
- 41+ mph over the limit: 11 points
Note that the accumulation of 11 or more points within 18 months can lead to the suspension of your driver’s license.
Why Work with a New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer to Fight Your Speeding Ticket?
If you are skeptical about taking action on your speeding ticket because you can’t afford to pay it, you may assume that hiring an attorney will just make everything even more expensive. While it’s certainly an additional expense, properly defending a case might actually end up saving you money.
Points, surcharges, and insurance increases can build up quickly. There are some situations where a simple and proper defense can minimize or eliminate penalties that would have been far greater than any attorney’s fee.
Feifer & Greenberg is happy to provide advice tailored to your unique situation. We have handled thousands of individual tickets and violations over the years and are prepared to help our clients avoid the worst consequences.
In many instances, we’re able to get tickets reduced or completely dropped.
Find out what your legal options are for fighting your NY speeding ticket during a free, no-obligation consultation. Call (888) 445-9886 (TicketHELP) or contact us online now.
Side bar form link
What Our Clients Say
I have been using Feifer and Greenberg for all of my driving ticket issues for about 10 years. They are always reliable, professional, and have been able to dismiss or reduce many tickets I have received. I highly recommend them to anyone I know and am thankful I always have them to consult for any issues I may have."
- H Lee.